Discarding Unused References
The Clean command removes unused References from the drawing. References that can be removed include Block definitions, Layers, defined drafting styles (such as LineStyles, TextStyles, DimensionStyles, and RichLineStyles), and other References as long as they are not referenced by other definitions or entities in the drawing file.
You can apply the command to all component types or to selected ones.
Discarding unused references can reduce a drawing's file size. This command is useful before archiving or backing up drawings.
The Clean command does not remove defined views or coordinate systems because they are never referenced by another component of the drawing. To remove defined views, use the Views command. To remove defined coordinate systems use the CCS or CSStyle commands.
You cannot discard:
- Layer 0 (there must be at least one layer in the drawing)
- The LineStyles "Continuous", "ByLayer", and "ByBlock"
- The TextStyle "Standard"
- The TableStyle "Standard"
- The RichLineStyle "Standard"
- Layers that contain drawing entities
- LinesStyles, TextStyles, TableStyles, and RichLineStyles referenced by drawing entities
- The active layer, LinesStyle, TextStyle, TableStyle, and RichLineStyle
To discard unused references:
- Click Format > Clean (or type Clean).
- In the dialog box, select Show unreferenced entities.
- Set options:
- Delete dependent entities: Removes References and subordinate References that are not referenced by other entities
- Confirm before delete: Displays the Confirm Clean dialog box for each Reference to discard
Menu: Format > Clean