Use the Trim command to cut drawing entities precisely at the edges defined by one or more entities.
Use Lines, InfiniteLines, Rays, PolyLines, Circles, Arcs, and Ellipses as cutting edges to trim the selected entity. Blocks and Text cannot be trimmed or used as cutting edges. On Sheets, Viewports can be cutting edges.
When you select a PolyLine as a cutting edge, the command trims at its centerline.
To trim entities:
- Click Modify > Trim (or type Trim).
- In the graphics area, select entities to make up the cutting edge.
- Press Enter.
- In the graphics area, select the entity on the side that you want to trim or specify an option:
- Crossing: Selects entities within and crossing a rectangle determined by two opposite points. If a crossing selection is not distinct, Trim resolves the selection by following the defined rectangle clockwise from the first point to the first entity encountered.
- Crossline: Uses the fence selection method to trim the entities on the side the fence line crosses.
- Edge: Trims to a a cutting edge that if extended, intersects the entity. The entities to trim do not have to actually intersect cutting edges. To trim at an implied intersection, specify the Edge option followed by the Extend option.
- Erase: Deletes unneeded entities without exiting the Trim command.
- Project: Sets the projection mode to CCS (the X-Y plane of the active Custom Coordinate System), None, or View.
- Undo: Reverses the most recent trim operation.
Menu: Modify > Trim